Monday, May 23, 2011

Unenraptured



So, I'm back home again.

Heaven's a nice place to visit, but... I prefer to not have to share a toothbrush.

Or to spend eternity in a place decorated with gold chintz pillows and green shag carpet.

And who knew that Katharine Hepburn utterly lacks the ability to keep her hands to herself??

The main reason I came back, though, was to take care of my garden.

Because if I don't, who will?

And it happens to be a very nice garden this year - much too good to allow it to go to ruin without a fight.

See?







Those are sugar snap peas on the left.

The light green leaves towards the center is lettuce.

The darker leaves with a hint of red is Swiss chard.

The remnants of my crocuses are on the right.

Tomato plants can be seen in the distance.

I planted the lettuce on April 7. It was up just 8 days later - pretty fast work for seeds barely bigger than the flakes out of a pepper shaker.

I first thinned them on May 12. I ate what I thinned. It turned out to be enough for a whole bowl of spring goodness made even better by Ken's blue cheese dressing. (Ken's is a brand name. I have no idea who Ken might be but I hope he's not in heaven now. I'm going to need more of his dressing this year!)

I'm rather amazed that things are doing as well as they are. It's been a *very* wet few months here. More than 7" of rain fell in April - a new record. May has been only marginally better - we got nearly another 1.5" of rain just this morning. And more storms are now approaching.

If you look out your window and see something small and green running by, it just might be my lettuce plants desperately searching for a somewhat dryer climate.

Of course rain does have its benefits.

Here's one that I harvested (in two parts) last evening:







FYI: Rainbows look pretty silly from heaven.

But not as silly as gold chintz pillows on green shag carpeting.

And as for the welcome cakes topped with sardines, the less said the better!

Suffice it to say that it's good to be home.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go bring my bird feeders in before the rampaging hordes of raccoons arrive.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll be glad you gave peas a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, glad you're back! I must say, I'd NEVER think heaven very heavenly if they've not even mastered plaque and tartar control without having to brush and floss. Humph!

    Anyway, your garden looks scrumptious! And rest assured, no lettuce in it's right mind would come HERE looking for dryer climate.

    Oh, I'm going to pull a Deve and let you know - assuming you care - that the captcha said "readanon"! ;-)

    ReplyDelete